King Penguin information and facts:Latin name: Aptenodytes patagonica
Average lifespan: around 20 years in the wild
Size: 95cm (3.1ft) high
Weight: on average they are around 15kg (33lb)
Group name: colony
- The King Penguin is a very large penguin, the second largest of its kind. It is sometimes confused with the larger Emperor penguin. The King Penguin fits our classic idea of what a penguin should look like, with their classic black and white tuxedo look. The King Penguin lay only one egg and keep it safe between their feel, like in the movie Happy Feet.
King Penguin video.
What does a King Penguin look like?King Penguins are the second largest penguins in the world; they can grow to three feet tall and weigh around 35 pounds. The males are taller and heavier than the females. King Penguins have the general black and white colors. Their back is silvery black and the front is white. They have tall slender bodies and long dark yellow bills. They also have a bit of this yellow color on the front. When King Penguins emerge from the sea they glisten in the most beautiful way making them one of the most elegant creatures on the planet.
Where does the King Penguin live?King Penguins love the cold weather and live on the on sub-Antarctic islands; some other colonies are located on the Falkland Islands, Heard Island, Iles Crozet, Macquarie Island and Marion Island. King Penguins do not migrate; they stay in their colonies all year round. They are mainly found on the rocky parts of the islands.
What does a King Penguin eat?King Penguins main eat small fish like lantern fish. They also eat crustaceans, krill and squid. They can dive more than 700 feet to get to their food source; they use their flippers to propel themselves. They can dive deeper than any other penguin and can dive 15 minutes or even more. King Penguins only eat meat, which means they are carnivores.
Did you know about these King Penguin facts?
- King Penguins are the second largest of the penguin species - King Penguins can dive more than 700 feet.
- There are 18 species of penguin in the world.
- King Penguins can only hatch one egg at a time, which they keep safe and warm between their feet.
- King Penguins have orange spots on their necks and near their ears.
- King Penguins cannot fly.
- King Penguins can drink sea water.
King Penguin images
King Penguin WallpapersDownload free King Penguin wallpapers, click on the image to open the large version.
King Penguin wallpaper 1
King Penguin wallpaper 2
King Penguin wallpaper 3
King Penguin wallpaper 4
King Penguin wallpaper 5
King Penguin wallpaper 6
King Penguin Coloring pagesPrint free King Penguin coloring pages, click on the image to open the large version.
King Penguin coloring page 1
King Penguin coloring page 2
King Penguin coloring page 3
King Penguin coloring page 5